Why celebrate IYL in 2015?
2015 has been designated by the United Nations as the International Year of Light (IYL). Celebrations will take place throughout the year, across the globe, and involve events and activities covering a wide variety of topics for all ages and levels of expertise. 2015 marks a large number of anniversaries of significant discoveries:
- 1015 – early works on optics by Ibn al-Haytham;
- 1815 – light as a wave proposed by Fresnel;
- 1865 – Maxwell’s electromagnetic theory of light;
- 1915 – Einstein’s theory of general relativity;
- 1965 – cosmic microwave background (Penzias and Wilson); transmission of light in optical fibres (Kao)
What do we want to achieve in Qatar?
- Raise Public awareness of light technologies and science applications in general
- Promote science amongst young people
- Promote light technologies for improved quality of life
- Reduce light pollution and energy waste
- Promote women’s empowerment in science
- Create public engagement networks and interdisciplinary collaborations
How can I get involved?
There are many ways to join the celebrations in 2015 from supporting events by attendance and participation to holding and/or hosting an event. There are also opportunities to sponsor events. For further information and resources for event organising please contact Prof. Ilham Al-Qaradawi.
How can I find out more?
- Visit the International Year of Light website
- Contact Prof. Ilham Al-Qaradawi; Qatar IYL 2015 National Contact
- Prof. Ilham Al-Qaradawi, Professor at Qatar University
- Martin Hope, Director, British Council
- Faraan Sayed, British Council
- Prof. Milivoj Belic, Professor at Texas A&M University
- Dr. David Cheng, Sidra
- Ioannis Delakis, Sidra
- Nadia Abou Elhosn, QEERI, QF
- Suek Kerry, College of The North Atlantic
IYL 2015 Events in Qatar:
- 18/02/2015 – Launch of the International Year of Light 2015 in Qatar
- 30/03/2015 – Shedding Light on The Universe
- 4-5/5/2015 Lighting Tech Qatar
- 20/05/2015 – World Metrology Day
- 11/06/2015 – 29/08/2015 From Darkness to Light Exhibition
- 13/9/2015 Visible and Invisible Light for Energy Production
- 25/10/2015 AlShaymaa School International Year of Light Day
- 13-16/12/2015 Photonics Middle East Conference
- 15-16/12/2015 Ibn Al-Haytham Days
Main Partners for the International year of light are Qatar University and the British Council.
Other partners also include:
Texas A&M University
Qatar Shell Research
University College London
Ministry of Environment
Shaikh Faisal Bin Qasim Al-Thani Holdings